Do not scroll screen when stepping forward/backward

gpbottari

Do not scroll screen when stepping forward/backward

Post by gpbottari »

Something that I find quite annoying is that the chart will always move the current candle to the same place (about at the far right ~7/8th of the screen) as soon as you press the forward/backward buttons.

Ideally it would stick at the same place and start printing new candles immediately at the right of the last candle (or removing them if going backward) without moving the candles we currently see.

Hopefully it is planned in the upcoming TV-like interface, otherwise please consider changing the behavior or adding an option in the preferences.

Merci!
Khan

Re: Do not scroll screen when stepping forward/backward

Post by Khan »

Definitely agree.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hello,

Thanks for your request. However, could you elaborate a bit please ?
In the current situation, the screen is always set to shift the candles in order to see all the last candles.
As we understood, you'd like to avoid the automatic scrolling ?

But in this case, when stepping forward, you're likely to not see the new candles at some point.
So, do you want just an option to deactivate the scroll screen parameter when forwarding or do you want another option to set the % of shift to the right (where we have void). With an option like this you could reduce the "blank" part of the screen if needed,

Thanks
gpbottari

Post by gpbottari »

Probably the best would be to implement a similar behavior that we get on TV using the replay function; wherever you move the current candle in the chart, then the chart will just stick there.
It means new candles appear always at the same place and bumps all the previous ones towards the left.

Worth noting, backward function doesn't exist on TV and I don't really need it anyways, but it brings also an important feature that seems to be also lacking which is to be able to quickly jump back in time to any day in the loaded history (Go to date) AND hide whatever comes AFTER this date. Otherwise we need to end/restart the backtest to switch to another date.

Thank you
Khan

Post by Khan »

Let me try to supplement gpbottari's explanation with screenshots.

What we would like to see is variable right hand void and bottom void that can be set with left-click & dragging. In TV, when you move a chart up/down/right/left however you want, the chart's location doesn't change.

Here's a chart:
chart_1.png
chart_1.png (120.53 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
This is the same chart moved far left and down:
chart_2.png
chart_2.png (93.89 KiB) Viewed 5869 times

When the current candle closes, all candles are shifted left and the new candle opens in its location. The chart itself doesn't move; it stays put as it is shown in the 2nd screenshot. In other words, a new candle does not reset the chart's right and bottom margin; it stays where it is.
NakedMarkets

Post by NakedMarkets »

Thanks gpbottari and Khan for your complementary reply and the clarifications,
Okay, so the goal would be to fit the TradingView Replay behavior : the user decides where the next candle will be displayed by dragging the chart, left/right/up/down. The charts does not change the margins automatically.

We can do it for sure since it's easier than calculating the margins automatically.
As you can imagine, the current behavior is inherited from Metatrader world, where a static right margin is defined in the software.
We think that it could be an option activated/deactivated in settings or it could be the default behavior under the TradingView theme and the current behavior would be the default one under the Metatrader theme.
Khan

Post by Khan »

Yes to all from me!

Putting the correct behavior by default under MT and TV themes looks like the best solution to me because traders who prefer TV will want that behavior and those poor guys who prefer MT would expect its default behavior. :D

You are welcome and thanks!
gpbottari

Post by gpbottari »

Big thanks to Khan for providing an accurate description with examples. Completely aligned with my requirements.

Please also consider adjusting the "Go to date" behavior as I've explained.
NakedMarkets

Post by NakedMarkets »

Hello,

Since it's technically easy to implement, we already did it and will be available in the next release.
We chose to set this behavior by default under TradingView theme as mentionned previously, and the previous behavior (with the static right margin) will be the default one under Metatrader theme.

About the "Go to Date" feature to go to the past, it's not planned to do it right now.
This feature originally has not been designed for that but to help the user to go to any date in the past just to display charts or orders (you can double-click on order in trade history to check them, it's the same feature).
However, here you ask to go to the past, and erase all the previous actions, since you want to hide whatever comes after this date. Thus, we have to delete all orders taken during this period. In short, it means a restart of the backtest.
Furthermore, we think that a side-effect could appear with this feature : the user could go back and forth in time, to simplify his trading. But our goal is to simulate the markets behavior as realistically as possible, with handy control on it for testing of course.

Another option could be to add a "restart backtest" with a date to quickly restart it to a certain point in time, instead of taking the original starting date.
Khan

Post by Khan »

If you are in need of customer opinions regarding going into the past during a backtest, I agree with your reasoning. I don't see how going into the past and hiding trades after that date is useful.

What I would like to see is a fast way of restarting the backtest from some other date (past or future). Currently we have to create a backtest from scratch for that but I only want to change the starting date while keeping all other backtest settings the same. This would save us multiple clicks and that is what you propose anyway, so thumbs up from me.

gpbottari can you explain your use case for going into the past?