How does the merge statement function work?

cdl

How does the merge statement function work?

Post by cdl »

I love the Stats Center. It's one of the best features of NM for me. But I don't understand how the "merge statements" function works? I read the wiki page about it. So I wanted to analyse the stats of the same strategy that I use but that is scattered over different statements. But if I try and merge, it just replaces the set of trades that were loaded in the Stats Center with the new ones that I wanted it to merge with. I was expecting it to simply add the trades of the second statement instead. Am I not understanding its use?

Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: How does the merge statement function work?

Post by Admin »

Thanks for your comment.
The merge statement feature adds a statement to the current statistic.
You can check the number of trades when merging the current statement with a new one, it will increase. You can do it multiple times, it will be added to the current stat.
If you feel that it does only replace the set of trades, maybe your statement is very similar to the other one ?
When merging 2 different statements, the set of trades is not added one after the other. It's added related to their open time in order to generate proper statistics.

As said on the Wiki, it's very important to notice that the first initial deposit will be taken in account.
So the merging order is important. Moreover, if a different statement with a different initial deposit, the statistics can be very different because the % risk of trade was maybe based to another initial deposit amount.
To be effective, it's better to use very similar statements. This is normal because merging 2 differents trading statements can lead to discrepancies by nature.
cdl

Post by cdl »

Okay, thank you for the explanation. But in that case I think I might have encountered a bug indeed.

I backtested the same strategy in NM, same initial deposit, but in 2 separate backtests, the only difference being they cover different months each. I exported their history in .csv format.

To reproduce the problem, just open the stats center. Load the first statement, then merge the second one. It does load the second statement as new, not add it to the firstly loaded set of trades. All values, the number of trades, etc. are not added to those of the first loaded statement, just replaced by those of the second statement. It shows exactly the same values as just opening the second statement alone. I tried merging them in different order, with the same results.
I can send you the .csv files in private if you like.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, please, could you send us the .csv files to check if a bug is occuring ?
Thanks !
RatkoA

Post by RatkoA »

Same for me. The merge function is not working. It is over-writing the stats instead to merge them.
NakedMarkets

Post by NakedMarkets »

Hello RatkoA,
Did you update the latest release for this issue ?
Because the previous issue encountered by cdl has been fixed in a previous update
RatkoA

Post by RatkoA »

Yes. Latest update installed.