Statistics center trades' list improvements

j3rgus

Statistics center trades' list improvements

Post by j3rgus »

Hello, it would be quite useful to add some kind of flexibility into trades list of statistics center. This could include:
1. Sorting per each column.
2. Coloring/highlighting rows based on criteria.
3. Showing trade on chart after double clicking on it.
cdl

Re: Statistics center trades' list improvements

Post by cdl »

I second these ideas.

Another one would be having the ability to add custom columns (custom trade characteristics). It would be great if we could choose for each to be either a boolean, a dropdown multiselect list, or plain text. So we could document each trade and review if they met this or that criteria, for instance. Also, it would be great to be able, once these columns are created, to edit their content right from the account history at the bottom, so we can do it directly after each trade. Cherry on the cake would be to be able to filter the trades list based on any criteria (current ones and custom ones).
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions. About your items :
1. Yes, this can be done. We will add it to the roadmap.
2. What kind of criteria you'd like to use to highlight some trades ? How could these criteria be defined ?
3. There are some issues about this item. Here's why :
This is an idea we had previously but we are afraid it's not very reliable due to the external statement nature. It could be implemeted with some warnings. In fact, we need to display price data for a selected trade. However, which data has been used for the statement you imported ?
This is not an issue for a statement generated by NakedMarkets, from a .bkt/.sta file for example, because NakedMarkets price data was used for that.
But for an external statement coming from Tradingview or Metatrader ?
We don't have the data and it can be inacurate if the brokers are different, the spread, the entry/exit prices of trades could be unrelated to the data.
The issue with the external statements is that we don't know the reliability of the data. If we try to simulate the Markets from an MT4 external statement, the broker will be different, the spread, and the price as well. So it's possible that the trades within the external statement will not have the same outcome without changing anything in a first step, the orders could even be not triggered.
Another issue is the symbols name : in your MT4 statement for example, the symbols are different (ex: USDJPY_STP) and the user would have to bind the symbols name between the statement and the real ones.
Technically, it can be done, but in this case we have to display a big warning to the user to tell him the issue with external statements (that's the same reason why there is no MAE/MFE data from external statements) and potentially ask him to bind the symbol names.

4. (From cdl) : it's related to the point 2 apparently. But we don't understand what kind of information you could set in the custom column ? Could you give us an example to be more explicit ? Adding filters is possible and we will do it in the future for sure. But adding custom columns can be complex to use and to display for users and we try to keep things simple as possible.
cdl

Post by cdl »

Custom columns examples: Say the user only wants to trade in a certain direction after momentum candles have happened. The user can add a custom "momentum" column, and for each trade they will manually add the pip value of the momentum. Later on, they can filter trades that have had a momentum greater than X pips and see how it affects the outcome.

Another exemple: say you want to fade "breakouts". The way you see it is that most breakouts are just liquidity grabs before going into the other direction. You would want to have a column to record if the liquidity that's been taken was above last sessions high, or a daily high, etc.

We could also just want to add a custom text comment to each trade. Or record a more general trade execution rating. I believe that during backtesting, the more data the better. That way you can filter out what part of the trade plan is relevant or not, etc.

This is stuff I do separately by importing into Excel, but if it can be done directly into the stats center, I think that'd be a great addition. It's not urgent or anything but that would make it a killer app IMHO.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks for these information, it's much more clear now.
We will see how we could do to include this kind of features
j3rgus

Post by j3rgus »

About point #2. My original idea is to introduce a filtering mechanism which would be an edit form where one could put a text criteria (a syntax would need to be defined, but it could be something as simple as "Lots < 0.2"). After entering such a filter it would show the corresponding list of trades. The coloring/highlighting itself would take place during interaction with the table itself. This means a user can right click on a trade and get some options such as "color this trade", "color all of the (filtered) trades". This way one could simply type a criteria for profitable/losing trades (and B/E trades provided as the rest of them), and finally color/highlight them with green/red. Of course this is a simple example and a meaningful criteria + coloring/highlighting could be already defined.

My point was to have this kind of interaction and be able to search interesting trades easily which also includes point #3. However as stated this point isn't straightforward to introduce, so maybe only linking to actual trade could be available when we know that Stat Center was loaded directly from the Backtest (not imported, as already mentioned - I think it would still be useful).
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Your suggestions have been added in the newly reorganized roadmap
Khan

Post by Khan »

j3rgus and cdl have excellent suggestions.

I have the same use case as cdl. I want to mark my trades with different information while creating them, not just after the fact (done in the Stat Center), and I like to have filtering according to what j3rfus suggested.

My design suggestion for this feature is to use colorful customizable text tags like these:
colored tags.png
colored tags.png (95.66 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
We should be able to define our own tags with different styling options as seen here (this is a very pleasant design if you ask me). Each tag has a color, a style, a text, maybe even a text style (like bold/italic) and is a filter itself.

In the order dialog, a searchable text box below or above the comment text should list the tags attached to the trade. Typing inside should narrow the list of the available tags by incremental searching, pressing Enter should select a tag (or create a new one if it doesn't exist), ESC should clear the box etc. The usual tag adding workflow found in many places on the web.

Explanation of how to use these tags:
Let's say I have a metric for my trades where I record my confidence level with a trade between "1-Extremely Uncertain" and "5-Very Certain". I can have another set of tags for breakouts. I can label the tags as "Weak Breakout", "Medium Breakout", "Strong Breakout". I create all these tags myself and save them (where and how to save them should be thought about), and they are free-form text. Once created, these tags act like immutable filters for every trade.

While creating a trade, I add one of these confidence level tags and one breakout tag and as many more tags as I need to decorate it.

Since these tags are recorded with my trades, I can then filter trades in the Stat Center to see how well I've done with trading breakouts. This way I can see that perhaps I'm overconfident when I see strong breakouts and this makes me lose money. I determine this by filtering trades by "5-Very Certain" + "Strong Breakout" tags used. Then I look at my stats with these filters applied and see if I win or lose trades having these characteristics.

We can even get fancy and use boolean logic with tags: "Show me my trade stats where I'm very confident and while I trade breakouts, but not with a full position" = "5-Very Certain" AND "Strong Breakout" AND "<1 Position". <1 Position implies that you need to implement a tag class where numerical comparisons can be made, like those in Rule Manager.

All in all, this request is kind of a Rule Manager for trades.

There are many different tag designs like these:
colored tags-2.png
colored tags-2.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
First screenshot in this post is more pleasant on the eye though.

Tagging trades and being able to filter them like this creates an immense learning opportunity. This way we can exactly pinpoint under what circumstances we lose and where we need to improve ourselves.

Now that's what I'd call a killer backtesting app.