Adding the ability to zoom/stretch the price axis without limit

cdl

Adding the ability to zoom/stretch the price axis without limit

Post by cdl »

Hi,

In Tradingview, you can drag the price axis upward and keep extending it without limitation. Many times I like to be kinda zoomed in.

To be really useful, this should come with the ability to drag the chart up/down too, and the ability to reset the stretching with a double click on the price axis.

Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adding the ability to zoom/stretch the price axis without limit

Post by Admin »

Hi,

To be sure to understand properly, you'd like to have the same behavior when dragging a chart under TradingView ?
Being able to drag and not resizing automatically the bars depending on the axis, without limitation, zooming with the mouse wheel, and refreshing the display only when the mouse is released ?
Thanks
cdl

Post by cdl »

Yes that's it, being able to resize and drag in all directions without limitations (with the mouse wheel is a nice bonus but personally I just "left mouse button press and slide" the price axis). But, also, being able to come back to auto sizing to fit the screen (as is now) by clicking a reset button or as in TradingView by double clicking on the price axis.

I don't know what you mean about refreshing when the mouse is released though? If you mean it directly goes back to auto sizing when the mouse is released, then no. If I zoom in, I want to stay zoomed in until I choose to reset it.

(Sorry you'll probably hear other suggestions inspired by TV, I really like their ergonomics).
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Okay, that's interesting.
About the refresh matter, I was talking about the bar display in fact, not the scaling/sizing/zooming.
When you drag to the left, you can see that the Bars are displayed in real time, you can have blank space until you release the mouse button to load the missing bars.
Here is an example :
TradingViewRefresh.gif
TradingViewRefresh.gif (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1017 times

In NakedMarkets, we wanted to avoid that by preloading a certain amount of bars to please the user experience by not having blank spaces.
But if it does not bother users, we can do it. It's harder to avoid it than doing it.

However, we think it could be better to see that in a more general way.
You requested another feature, here, for TradingView-like behavior on trendlines. So, we assume there will be new ones.
Maybe, we could fit the needs of you and other users, who like the TradingView ergonomics, more generally by implementing 2 differents "ergonomics/look&feel" :
- the current "ergonomics/look&feel" : Metatrader.
- another "ergonomics/look&feel" : Tradingview

At first, NakedMarkets tried to replicate the Metatrader interface but TradingView is very popular now so we can take this in account.
Like that, every user could choose his favorite way to trade and to interact with charts.

However, it will not be done quickly. As you can imagine, this is big modifications in the interface, a lot of things are involved.
But we could add an item to the roadmap, like "Implementing the choice between the 2 ergonomics : Metatrader and Tradingview". And to avoid waiting too long to implement it fully, maybe it can be done incrementally, one ergonomic/feature at a time to have more regular updates than one unique big update in 6 months, for example.

Tell us what you think about it ?
And more generally, everybody can say what they think about it to see if this kind of ergonomics needs is shared between users ?
cdl

Post by cdl »

Yeah I mean of course it's a great idea, but it will double the workload for you. Is that realistic over the long run?

The refresh/blank space thing in TV doesn't bother me, I never really noticed it, it loads so fast.

Personally, I spent the last 5 years, all day long, inside TradingView. It's like an extension of my fingers, or my brain. I absolutely love it. I also used it for backtesting, with the replay feature, before I finally accepted it was too limited for proper backtesting and I needed a real backtesting software.

I find Metatrader terrible in just about every aspect. I have no idea how this thing is still around tbh :lol: I only use it for opening and closing orders, with brokers that don't offer a better platform. I find Metrader ergonomics very limiting, frustrating. I'd say it prevents me for doing charting, instead of enabling me to. It's like being in a cage.

On the other hand, TV is handy, never limits me, only facilitates every action. I get the freedom to manipulate my charts however I want. I would venture and say that even for people used to Metrader's ergonomics, I doubt having to switch to TV ergonomics would be a problem.

It also seems to me that most "younger" traders (say, 35 and below) rely heavily on TradingView too.

Now, I understand there certainly are still many people who enjoy Metatrader, and they will certainly chime in. Also I understand and respect that you decided to replicate its ergonomics based on its popularity as a trading platform. Even your main competitor in the backtesting business did the same. But as a charting and analysis software, surely Metatrader can't still be that relevant today...?

So anyway, a bit of a rant there... however you do it is up to you of course... but it seems to me that some features like total freedom of movement and zooming, easiness to snap segments horizontally, for instance, will need to be implemented at some point. IMHO, this will really set you above and beyond the competition 8-)

EDIT: removed a suggested feature that is already implemented :shock:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

It has been added in the newly reorganized roadmap.
New features, to support the Tradingview Look&Fell, will be added gradually