New Setup rule action - Mark on chart

dasz

New Setup rule action - Mark on chart

Post by dasz »

Hello,

I have an idea how to speed up backtesting and strategy development using NakedMarkets.

Let's imagine I have a Core rule to identify specific pattern.
Then, I'd probably do a Setup rule to pause the backtest.

As I'm still developing the rules - at this initial stage I'd prefer to see all places where my Core rule (or rules) is/are met.

So the suggestion is - instead of stopping the chart and analysing each occurence manually - I'd like the chart to go to the end but mark every place where my setup has been found.

This would require a new Action on the Setup rules: Mark on Chart

This way we could run the backtest till the end and then quickly review where the setups were, how often, jump to lower/higher TFs etc.

I hope you'll like the idea and that it isn't heavy development.
NakedMarkets

Re: New Setup rule action - Mark on chart

Post by NakedMarkets »

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. We think that's a great idea.
However, we think that this feature could be added but not directly as an action rule, like "mark on chart".

Maybe, it could be better to have an independent feature, called for example "scan for setups/core rules", let a user select a setup/core rule and scan it through all a set of data (ie: all EURUSD data). It could be included in fast-backtest or be an option on chart.
It could display some basics stats (ie : number of patterns found) and highlight graphically the candles where the rule has been triggered.

Since an action rule is dedicated to be applied in real-time (or during fast-backtest), we find that it does not suit properly the need. But a scanning feature could do the task. And could allow to display a loading screen/bar because depending on the timeframe and rule, it could take time to scan all the data (like under fast-backtest for example).

Tell us what you think about it
dasz

Post by dasz »

Fair points - makes much sense to add it as a new feature.
Just to have clarity, other than basic statistics - would it be still possible to fully use the chart after the scan is finished (drawing, changing timeframes while still seeing where the patterns were found on the original TF) ?

So what I imagine now is that next to the stats - we could see a list of occurences (rule name + date & time + timeframe) sorted in some way (or just sortable list once user clicks column headers).

Once I click any of the records - a chart would open at the chosen period and TF and present fully-functional chart + highlight specific place where pattern was noticed. It would be perfect if once we are looking at the chart at the specific occurence (after clicking it on the list) - we see that specific record highlighted, but also it would be good to see other occurences on the chart as well (to avoid click them one by one).

Bounicng back the ball - what do you think ? :)
NakedMarkets

Post by NakedMarkets »

Yes, the goal would be to highlight the setups on the opened chart in order to interact with it and analyze manually if needed.
We didn't think about the list of occurence which could be sortable but indeed it's nice to have it if a lot of setups are found.
Yes, it's important to link the occurence and the setup on charts.

We have 2 main choices :
- Add an option in the fastbacktest mode to just "scan" the symbols. And then, the user could click to open the charts.
- Add an option when attaching a rule on a chart (right-click on a setup rule for instance). This "scan" option would do the same but print directly the setup with a dedicated window to list the occurences.

We think that the second option could be more handy for the user
dasz

Post by dasz »

I like the second option more :)