Upgrading the feature of step forward

Tomasz Kot

Upgrading the feature of step forward

Post by Tomasz Kot »

During my backtests I am using small and big time steps alternately and to be honest switching them constantly is a little pain...

For example:
When I am in my trading session and I am looking for a general setup I need to go by 30M steps.
When it looks good and I am near my potential entry I need to go by 1M steps to clarify it before decision for the entry.
When my session passess I need to go several hours forward to the next day and the exact time of my session beginning.

I would be very grateful if it could be improved somehow.

Some ideas below:
A. Moving to the next day
1. Could there be a button enabling fast forward of the bactest to the next day at a specific (customized) time?

B. Moving to next candle of chosen timestep
1. Could there be a few (like 3) separate buttons for a step forward (each with different, custom time step)?
2. Another solution - if we focus on a chart with a specific timeframe, could there be a specific key binding (like arrow right) that moves all the charts one step forward using the timeframe of a focused chart?
For example - I need to forward time by 1H, so I click on 1H chart, click right arrow on the keyboard and in all my charts (with different timeframes) time moves forward exactly by 1H (and the left key could move it one candle backwards, using this specific timeframe).

Could you consider it? In my perspective, it would make the backtests so much easier.
Khan

Re: Upgrading the feature of step forward

Post by Khan »

I have a somewhat similar request here:
viewtopic.php?p=557

I'm posting it here so that the NM team can make an informed decision on what to implement and when.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks for your suggestion.
As you can understand, these user requests can have a significant impact on the user experience.
So, we have to think about it at first how to implement it. The goal for us is to implement a user request feature in a way that is useful for the maximum number of users.
So we noticed that you are interested in this and we will come back to you with a proposal aimed to satisfy everybody
Halcio

Post by Halcio »

Somehow to a different note but related to this topic, would be to have the option of increasing the speed of forward testing(the last button to the right). As it is set to the maximum speed ( all the way to the right) , it is still extremely slow. It would help a lot to be able to fast forward a lot fast while another setup forms. I could increase the step to something higher but that is not help because Im also intersted in watching how the candle forms . So to be able to that , we can have the step to the minimum possible (M1 or preferable tick data) and increase the speed from the right button. Hope this makes sense.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The requested Go To feature has been added in the last update.