Chart object templates

Khan

Chart object templates

Post by Khan »

Hi,

Since you are working on dark/light themes right now, I have a related suggestion.

I'd love to have different templates for chart objects, along with the ability to save and load them.

My use case is, I use different colors and line styles for different trend lines (like red for lines drawn on the daily chart and blue lines on 1H); I'm sure many people are doing something similar. Currently we have to manually change chart object properties, draw a few of them, then change the properties again and draw a few of them. It is too cumbersome and too slow.

Saving and loading object templates should use the same paradigm as saving the chart template: they should be individual files on disk. This is because how MT4/5 is doing it and you seem to follow their design. Besides, having files with known locations instead of settings saved somewhere is better.

Object properties dialog should have a dropdown box showing the currently active template for the object and it should list all available templates for us to load. Selecting another template should load its settings and update the object after the OK button is pressed. These settings then should be retained for subsequent drawings of new chart objects of the same type (this is the current functionality for chart objects).

There should be a "Save Object Template" button to save current setting to a file as a new template or to overwrite an existing one.

A faster way of working: Adding an "Object Template" entry to the right click menu of chart objects where we can save/load templates. This is repeating the same functionality we have when right clicking on a chart. I suggest that you rename "Template" menu entry to "Chart Template" to make the distinction between the chart and a chart object.

An even faster way of working: Listing object templates directly on the right click menu saves a click. We can right click on a chart object and directly change its template.

The fastest way of working: Right clicking on a chart object shows properties directly in the menu rather than in a separate dialog box. I'm not up to date on .NET Framework's capabilities for this, so this might be an unfeasible feature request.

Overall, the less clicking, the better.
NakedMarkets

Re: Chart object templates

Post by NakedMarkets »

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed suggestion !
You are right, the template chart feature is now similar to the Metatrader one.
Since you are talking about object template, like in Tradingview, can we sum up all of your suggestion to implement the tradingview interface for the chart/objects templates ?
If yes, as said here, we will include it
Khan

Re: Chart object templates

Post by Khan »

Absolutely.

TradingView UI needs something like this anyway, so feel free to put this feature request under the TV UI work and implement it whenever it makes sense for you.

Personally I'm more interested in TV UI anyway.

Thanks!