Shortcuts requested for saving/loading backtest(s)

Khan

Shortcuts requested for saving/loading backtest(s)

Post by Khan »

Hello,

I sometimes save a backtest before entering one or multiple trades, so I can quickly revert to my save and try different things. To make this workflow as efficient as possible, I propose following additions to the program:
  1. Adding customizable shortcuts for File->Save Backtest, File->Save Backtest As File->Open Backtest... menu entries for speed. Saving and loading via shortcuts is a time saver for any program. Normally Ctrl+S is used for this, but you use it for Default Sell Entry Rule; maybe you'll change it.
  2. Revert to saved function: This would make my workflow very fast. Just a single shortcut (and its menu entry under File menu) to reload currently open backtest file with a yes/no prompt so that users don't lose their unsaved trades by mistake. If we can turn this prompt off in settings, that would be even better. Power users will probably want to turn off the confirmation prompt since they love to live fast and dangerously :D.
Optional feature:
  1. "Incremental Save" menu entry and its customizable shortcut. It should save the current backtest with a "_001", "_002"... suffix instead of overwriting the file, so we can quickly create incremental backtest saves with a single key press. Otherwise we'd have to do this manually.
Thank you.
NakedMarkets

Re: Shortcuts requested for saving/loading backtest(s)

Post by NakedMarkets »

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions,
About the 1. and 2., it can be done quickly and easily. This will be included in the next release, without being in the roadmap since it is quick features to implement.
About the optional feature, we will what can be done.
Khan

Re: Shortcuts requested for saving/loading backtest(s)

Post by Khan »

Thanks for the response.

I marked incremental save as optional because indeed it is optional and being a former software engineer I know that it isn't that straightforward to implement. You need to check if there is already a file with a _001 suffix etc.

I suggest that you don't waste time on it right now. After adding shortcuts for saving, loading and reverting backtests, this might not be a good feature to spend engineering efforts on. I'll use shortcuts first and report back to you. I suspect they will make this feature at most a 'nice to have' and that would be it.