Seconds Timeframe

Gregg

Seconds Timeframe

Post by Gregg »

Firstly great software - it is apparent a lot of thought and effort has gone into it.

I trade SMC strategies - in scalping this relies heavily on the seconds timeframe. 1s,5s,15s,30s.

Although seconds is supported through tradingview premium membership (limited in candles and backtesting data), and some forex backtesting software include seconds they are clunky and not user friendly in comparison to your software.

A definite buy option for me (and my fellow colleagues) if seconds where to be included as optional timeframes.
Gareth

Re: Seconds Timeframe

Post by Gareth »

I totally agree with Gregg.. the addition of the seconds time frames would make this software a killer option
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi Gregg and Gareth, first, thanks for your suggestion,

Could you expand a bit on that ?
Do you want to have seconds based timeframes, displayed exactly the same manner as other timeframes ?

Technically, it's possible because every symbol has the related tick data.
What is possible would be to enable the option to download tick data for every symbol and let the user create custom timeframes based on seconds and not minutes (as currently implemented) in the datacenter.
However, the download of tick data will be longer since the files are pretty big, even compressed, and the custom timeframe creation based on seconds could be a bit long as well, since all tick data (about 20 years of data for some symbols) has to be parsed to create "seconds" candles. But it has to be done only once.

This would fit your needs ?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Hi, exactly as per your response and description.

The seconds to be displayed exactly the same manner as other time-frame candles. This would definitely meet our needs. :D
j3rgus

Post by j3rgus »

Do you want to have seconds based timeframes, displayed exactly the same manner as other timeframes ?

Technically, it's possible because every symbol has the related tick data.
What is possible would be to enable the option to download tick data for every symbol and let the user create custom timeframes based on seconds and not minutes (as currently implemented) in the datacenter.
Hello. I would still prefer creation of timeframes based on minutes. For higher timeframes (4H, 8H, 12H, etc.) it's much easier to know the values. If the base unit is second then this would require doing some calculation beforehand. Maybe it could be switchable between seconds and minutes.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Hi,

From my understanding tick data is always recommended as its more accurate for back-testing.

For ref: Ctrader backtesting - https://clickalgo.com/cbot-backtesting
"If you have optimised using 1-min bar data which is much faster, it may be worth then backtesting using tick-data to verify the results, tick data includes the historical spread and is deemed more accurate......"

Depending on your trading style/strategy, spreads can be a trade killer - its always worth backtesting with the most accurate data.
1hr charts and above - it may not make too much of a difference, but below 5min I have seen candle differences with data using tick or minute.

Trading platforms all use tick data provided by the broker, then formatted according to relevant time-frame.

From the software I have used that provide seconds - all time-frames regardless of setting interval are based on tick data.
The format to seconds or minutes is just a calculation done by the program.

At the end of the day you want the most realistic backtesting to verify your strategies.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi,

Yes, you're absolutely right, the spread can be a trade and even a trading system killer.
In fact, having real market spread does not imply to have tick data. We have to separate the both to analyze the needs.

The aim of NakedMarkets is to be as realistic as possible in order to be able to have almost no differences when the user will go live on the real markets. That's why, the real spread is already included in every timeframe data, even without tick data.
Every timeframe data has been processed and rendered using the tick data. So the accuracy of the spread is there, in M1 timeframe data, up to W1 timeframe data. Thanks to this, NakedMarkets is realistic about the spreads (and includes it for free contrary to other softwares).

But we chose to not include tick data, by default, because it (without speaking of spread) can be useful in only very specific cases and need big files downloading. When you trade the M1 timeframe for example during big news event where the spread of the broker will increase drastically.
For information, some existing backtesting software fake the tick data by generating random tick-data, included in the M1 candles. This kind of thing is pointless because all the data is already included in the M1 candle.

Now, about "seconds" timeframes, it's a different matter because we need to go below the M1 timeframe data. So, we have to use the tick data to process and render the 30 seconds timeframe data, for example, and display it like the other timeframes. That's not about the spread, which is already in the software, it's just about the 30 seconds timeframe data rendering.

I hope, this helps to clarify a bit. The custom timeframes in seconds has been added to the roadmap.

Thanks for you suggestion

j3rgus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:06 am Hello. I would still prefer creation of timeframes based on minutes. For higher timeframes (4H, 8H, 12H, etc.) it's much easier to know the values. If the base unit is second then this would require doing some calculation beforehand. Maybe it could be switchable between seconds and minutes.
Yes, it was the idea. Keep the custom timeframe in the current state and add a dedicated button to activate the custom timeframes creation below 1 minute.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hello,

Since we will reorganize the roadmap, we'd like to know if you are still interested in this feature ?
This will help us to establish the priorities for user requests,

Thanks
meligo

Post by meligo »

I would be very interested in this, I've looked around but still didn't find a provider for data below 1min TF...
Khan

Post by Khan »

I'm also very interested in this.