FXCM for EURUSD has a huge gap

Post by Khan »

Hi,
data1.png
data1.png (26.11 KiB) Viewed 285 times

Here, backtest is at 10/02/2024.
data2.png
data2.png (17.27 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Here, I step forward once on 5m and the date becomes 21/02.
data3.png
data3.png (17.16 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Step forward once again and there is a huge gap.

I use FXCM because it usually has the lowest spread (around 1.0 pip) for EURUSD. I'd like to have a data source which has around 0.0-0.1 pip spread like any current day big forex broker (IC Markets, Pepperstone, Eightcap etc.) but I digress.

I had updated my EURUSD data a few days ago by deleting everything and updating from scratch so this looks like a data provider issue. This pair also has a gap between Jan 2 and Jan 5. I did not pay attention to that thinking that it was an isolated incident but it turns out that it was not.

Thanks.
Khan

Re: FXCM for EURUSD has a huge gap

Post by Khan »

Backtest is probably not needed but I'm attaching it to this post just in case.
Attachments
EURUSD.zip
(243.19 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
NakedMarkets

Post by NakedMarkets »

Hi,
Thanks for your report, it is indeed a data provider issue.
We are currently fixing it by reprocessing some data. It should be good in several hours.
We will let you know when it's good
Khan

Post by Khan »

Thank you.

I like FXCM's data in general but these gaps are very annoying and shouldn't happen. I had to abandon my last backtest due to this.
Khan

Post by Khan »

FXCM still has huge gaps this year and last year. I think the same gaps exist but I'm not sure.

You never gave an update and I'm assuming that the data is still bad. Maybe related to this, NM refused to load my last backtest (which was also EURUSD from FXCM) because it was corrupted.
Khan

Post by Khan »

After having to abandon multiple backtests with FXCM, I just switched to FXOpen for EURUSD and chose the backtest start date as 01/09/2023.

However, after loading the chart, the date is shown as 03/03/2023 instead and I can't even move a single M1 step forward. NM says "End of Data". In fact, I can't even move backward a M1 step. M5 doesn't work either. I can only step back M15 twice and that's all.

Apparently something serious is going on with market data from multiple providers.
NakedMarkets

Post by NakedMarkets »

We agree that these gaps in FXCM data (for EURUSD) should not happen.
However, this is not the case for the main default Broker : NakedMarkets.
That's why, we created this virtual broker to check the data quality.

We are working on this problem.
The issue is that we have Terabytes of data and parsing them to fix them can take hours, even days for some symbols.
Meanwhile, we advise you to use NakedMarkets broker in order to backtest.
If you want to have tighter spread, you can customize it if needed under the Data center.

About the corrupted data, since we are running some maintenance tasks, it's possible that some data can be corrupted during the download.

To sum up : right now, you can use NakedMarkets data and wait before using other brokers until we fix the issue.
Khan

Post by Khan »

Understood.

I'll switch to NM broker for now. The reason I don't use it because it has bigger spread than other brokers (or it used to be like that, I haven't checked that recently).

I can always manually assign a tight spread, but obviously that does not reflect real market conditions. I can do that for now, until these problems are fixed.

Thanks.
Khan

Post by Khan »

I switched to NM data for EURUSD and it has better spread than FXCM and others provider's I've tried.

You already know this but I'm writing it anyway for other people to see.